Re: Renaming WebDatabase and WebSimpleDB

On Nov 30, 2009, at 8:20 AM, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:

> Hi Nikunj,
>
>> @2009-11-26 02:00 -0800:
> [...]
>> Here's my suggestion:
>>
>> 1. WebDatabase be renamed to WebSQLDatabase
>> 2. WebSimpleDB be renamed to ISAM Database Level 1
>
> I don't think "ISAM Database Level 1" is an improvement.
>
> As an alternative title, I suggest "Web Key-Value Database".
>
> As far as what's wrong with "ISAM Database Level 1": For one
> thing, the term "ISAM" is not actually mentioned anywhere in the
> text of the current draft itself. Also, I would wonder whether
> most people in this group and on this mailing list know what
> "ISAM" is. I didn't. I had to look it up to see what it means. I
> think it would be preferable to have a title that doesn't
> reference a technology term that'll be obscure to most readers.

I admit I also found the term ISAM initially confusing (I had to look
it up). I think it is an improvement on "Simple", since it draws a
distinction that is objective and based on the technology. But it
would be nice if we could find a less obscure technology-based term in
the index, ideally one that is used and explained in the spec. I'm not
sure what that would be though.

> I also suggest not including "Level 1" in the title unless/until
> we also publish a "Level 2" draft.

It's really best not to use Level terminology at all and just use
version numbers, if versioning is even needed. "Level" is supposed to
have some kind of distinction from "version" but I think it is more
confusing than clarifying here.

Regards,
Maciej