Re: Renaming WebDatabase and WebSimpleDB

From: Michael(tm) Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 08:14:37 +0900
To: Jeremy Orlow <jorlow@chromium.org>
Cc: "Nikunj R. Mehta" <nikunj.mehta@oracle.com>, public-webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
Jeremy Orlow <jorlow@chromium.org>, 2009-11-30 14:46 -0800:

> I agree with Mike, but I'd also note that "Web Key-Value Database" could
> easily be confused with WebStorage given that it also uses a Key-Value
> model.

True but we know the distinction is that Web Storage does not use
a database. Or I guess to put it more precisely, it's not exposed
to applications as a database. I do realize that to casual readers
that distinction might not be obvious to readers. But we always
have a tradeoff between, on the one hand, trying to make spec
titles precise, and on the other hand, keeping the titles concise.
I think the Storage vs. Database distinction is one that makes a
pretty good tradeoff.

> Which brings up another point:  Maybe WebStorage should be renamed as well?

I don't think we should unless somebody can come up with a concise
way of qualifying it more. I guess "Web Local and Session Storage"
might be more precise, but I'm not sure whether most people would
consider that an improvement.

Michael(tm) Smith