Re: [WARP4U] WARP with UPnP

Hi Stephen,

On Nov 30, 2009, at 19:13 , Stephen Jolly wrote:
> On 20 Nov 2009, at 17:12, Marcin Hanclik wrote:
>> As discussed on the yesterday's call, I committed to CVS the WARP spec with the section about local network (required for UPnP use cases) at:
>> http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-access-upnp/
>
> Clearly there are usage scenarios based on technologies other than UPnP for a scheme that allows widgets to declare an intention to access network resources on the local network - simple web services discovered via mDNS/DNS-SD for example.
>
> I haven't seen a lot of discussion of this issue recently, apart from Marcin's proposals.  If that reflects a general lack of enthusiasm, it would be useful to know if people's reservations are technical in nature, or if the scenarios in question are simply not thought to be common enough?

There is interest, but it might not be at the top of everyone's priority list. There are indeed technical issues, but those tend to fan the flame of enthusiasm rather than smother it.

Note that the above specification is hardly any progress: it is essentially a copy of the WARP specification with very minor modification.

Given that you work for the BBC, that the BBC is a W3C member, and that you seem knowledgeable on the topic is there any chance that you could join in to help with this? It would be most helpful.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/