Widgeon release (was P+C implementation report: Widgeon)

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:59:20 +0100
To: public-webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Nov 23, 2009, at 18:02 , Robin Berjon wrote:
> Widgeon (http://code.google.com/p/widgeon/) is an open source, XULRunner-based implementation of P+C and Widget URIs. You can tinker with it if you know XULRunner. At this point in time only the source version is available, more easily usable builds will be made available later. Don't use it to run arbitrary widgets, its security has yet to be assessed fully.

This has progressed since yesterday. We have now made an official release (installer for Mac, others still have to build from source though on Linux it should be trivial:

  http://berjon.com/blog/2009/11/announcing-widgeon.html

We make no promises where security is concerned, but first looks at the issue indicate that widgets run in a non-privileged context, which ought to be safe. Use at your own risk nevertheless.

Note: this is also an implementation of widget URIs. They seem to do the job nicely!

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/