Use cases (appcache, etc) Re: Using progress events for other purposes

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 20:13:23 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 18:30:31 +0200, Charles McCathieNevile
> <chaals@opera.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 17:48:04 +0200, Charles McCathieNevile
>> <chaals@opera.com> wrote:
>>> On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 21:04:04 +0200, Charles McCathieNevile
>>
>>> I propose to add the attributes totalItems and loadedItems to
>>> preogress events, as a way of dealing with use cases like showing
>>> progress in downloading an application cache. This allows for firing
>>> progress events which have total/loaded values on individual items, by
>>> defining them as referring to the current item in the presence of the
>>> totalIems / loadedItems.
>>
>> Doe anyone have a use case or preference for making these a long long,
>> or is a long enough?
>
> If only a subset of the attributes ends up being used, i.e. appcache is
> not going to dispatch progress events more often than one per file, I do
> not think this feature is worth it to be honest. Because for appcache
> total and loaded would always be 0 and for XMLHttpRequest totalItems and
> loadedITems would always be 0.

Quite true. The hypothesis is that appcache may end up dealing with files
where progress events *are* disaptched more than once per file, for
example collecting a cache which has a 1MB video over a slow line.

> Are there any other cases worth considering?

The other use case [1] that motivated this was a mail client downloading a
number of distinct emails as objects, where some of them could be very
large.

My assumption is that these are real use cases, which is why I made the
proposal (and bothered doing the thinking to try and spec it out). It's up
to the group to decide, of course.

[1] http://www.w3.org/mid/op.u0xi82ucwxe0ny@widsith.eng.oslo.osa

cheers

Chaals