Re: Please don't call your API "simple"

From: Nikunj R. Mehta <nikunj.mehta@oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:49:03 -0700
Cc: Simon Raboczi <raboczi@gmail.com>, public-webapps@w3.org
To: Jeremy Orlow <jorlow@chromium.org>

On Sep 29, 2009, at 5:27 PM, Jeremy Orlow wrote:

> There already is a "WebDatabase" API which is SQL based.  That
> sounds way to close to "WebDB" for my comfort.
>
> Maybe WebDatabase should be WebSQLDatabase or WebSQLDB

I have suggested this before [1], but fighting about names seems to be
a lost cause in this WG.

> And WebSimpleDB should be WebTreeDatabase or WebTreeDB?

An ordinary developer would not notice anything tree-like in this spec
and so it will not help anyone to call this TreeDB.

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Simon Raboczi <raboczi@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Please don't call your web database API "simple".  It's a
> meaningless noise word unless there's some other non-simple web
> database API to compare it to.  It doesn't even serve to produce a
> pronounceable acronym like SAX or SOAP.  "WebDB API" would be fine.

Nikunj
http://o-micron.blogspot.com

[1] http://www.w3.org/mid/D34DA34B-3ED7-4D65-9ECB-C9A7BFF3110F@oracle.com