Re: Proposal for sending multiple files via XMLHttpRequest.send()

From: Jian Li <jianli@chromium.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 23:46:11 -0700
To: Yaar Schnitman <yaar@chromium.org>
Cc: Alfonso Martínez de Lizarrondo <amla70@gmail.com>, public-webapps@w3.org
Thank you for all your great feedbacks.
Yes, the first approach is simpler and it requites far less work from the
author and thus less error prone. However, I think the second approach does
provide more flexibilities that might fit for the different data assembling
and sending purpose. The author can use it to upload multiple attached
files, save a set of client generated items, or even send any combinations
of string data and file data.

For example, the presentation web application wants to save a set of client
generated slides to the server. Some of slides include attached files, like
a video clip. It will be much easier for the author to send all the data to
the server via the second approach:

    var payload = new Array;
    payload.push(header_for_slide1);
    payload.push(data_for_slide1);
    payload.push(header_for_slide2);
    payload.push(data_for_slide2);
    payload.push(attached_file1_for_slide2);
    payload.push(attached_file2_for_slide2);
    xhr.send(payload);

Since XMLHttpRequest spec has already added the overload for send(document),
why not just adding more overload for file and array of items? IMHO, having
similar send*** methods, like sendFile, together with overloads of send()
might make the API more complicated.