Re: Web Notifications, do we need a new spec?

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 12:12:59 +0200
To: John Gregg <johnnyg@google.com>
CC: ifette@google.com, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow@chromium.org>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, Drew Wilson <atwilson@google.com>

John Gregg wrote:
> Hi Marcos,
>
> I'm doing the implementation for Chromium so I'm pretty familiar with
> notifications. Although I'm fairly new to the process, I would be happy
> to volunteer to help, since I would definitely like to see a new
> notifications spec come together.

Great! Basically, we just need a plain-text brain-dump from you about
how your implementation works and what the APIs. That should be
sufficient as a starting point to get the ball rolling. As I've got some
experience writing W3C specs, I'm happy to help co-edit.

Before starting on an actual spec, the parts we need are:

Requirements:
   a simple list of what the requirements are.
   (e.g., there must be a means to request the user's attention.)

APIs: some IDL (or pseudo code) and a brief description of each of the
attribute or method.

A description of how you envision notifications play with HTML5's
browsing contexts/origin.

You might also look at what we originally had in the widget spec (search
for "The showNotification()  Method" and "The getAttention() Method"):

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2006/waf/widgets-api/Overview.src.html?rev=1.87&content-type=text/html;%20charset=iso-8859-1

showNotification() was based on some old HTML5 text, which was removed
about a year ago. Anyway, please let us know if you need anything else,
and we look forward your input! :D

Kind regards,
Marcos