Re: [WebSimpleDatabase] New spec, editor's draft available

On Sep 4, 2009, at 7:47 PM, Michael Nordman wrote:

> Try this link instead...
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebSimpleDatabase/
>
> Nikunj's link actually points to http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DataCache/
>  which is also interesting, but seemingly not what was intended.

Sorry about this problem. Got tripped by the mail editor there.

> @Nikunj, I have not yet read thru your draft in detail, but will do
> so.

Look forward to the feedback.

>  In principle, I agree with the notion of a standard that does not
> depend on a particular sql dialect (or an assumed sql dialect) to
> reap the rewards of structured storage, query, and retrieval.

The intention is to enable a far richer ecosystem of independent
implementations. Plus to take advantage of the ECMAScript environment
and avoid marshalling between result sets and JavaScript objects.

> As I said, I haven't read it thru yet... have you addressed full
> text indexing and search in some form? And if not, that would be a
> feature request.

I am aware of full-text. If someone is willing to contribute
resources, I would be glad to work in this feature.

> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Nikunj R. Mehta <nikunj.mehta@oracle.com
> > wrote:
> I have published the first draft of the WebSimpleDatabase API, which
> is based on B-tree databases [1]. Here's a link to the draft:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebSimpleDatabase/
>
> Abstract:
>         This document defines APIs for storing and retreving ordered
> key-value pairs in a transactional database.
>
> I would request feedback that we can incorporate before publication
> as a working draft. Please note that certain items are purposely
> under-specified at the moment. I want to gauge the potential
> interest in this direction and evolve it to meet the needs of the WG.
>
> Nikunj
> http://o-micron.blogspot.com
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/mid/F480F60A-5DAE-4B73-922A-93ED401CF32C@oracle.com

Nikunj