Re: [Widget URI] Internationalization, widget IRI?

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 11:10:43 +0200
To: Marcin Hanclik <Marcin.Hanclik@access-company.com>
Cc: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, public-webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Marcin
Hanclik<Marcin.Hanclik@access-company.com> wrote:
> Hi Robin,
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> I believe the terminology could be clarified once the IRI/URI issue from P&C gets solved in I18N, hopefully together with HREF and all related stuff.
>
> +1 for simplification.

I'm still not understanding the problem in the P&C spec.

Let me try to walk through a simple widget. Marcin, pretend I'm 9
years old and explain the problem to me in the most simplest of terms
possible (i.e., don't cite me URI/IRI spec stuff because all that
stuff makes no sense, just talk to me about bytes... I'm one those
smarty 9 year-olds, who knows about bytes, but as a consequence gets
pushed around by bullies...:)).

USE CASE 1
1. I have a widget called foo.wgt. The widget contains 2 files:
mañana.html and config.xml.
2. The file names of both files are encoded in the zip archive as
UTF-8 (explicitly marked as such by the presence of a flag).
3. In the config doc, which is encoded in iso-8859-1, it says:
   <content src="mañana.html"/>
4. The UA reads the value of src attribute and converts it to UTF-8.
5. The UA matches the string that represents the value of src to the
"mañana.html" file entry.
6. done?

USE CASE 2
1. I have a widget called foo.wgt. The widget contains 2 files:
mañana.html and config.xml.
2. The file names of both files are encoded in the zip archive as
CP-437 (explicitly marked as such).
2.1 The UA maps all the files names in the zip archive to UTF-8 equivalents.
3. In the config doc, which is encoded in iso-8859-1, it says:
   <content src="mañana.html"/>
4. The UA reads the value of the src attribute and converts it to UTF-8.

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au