Re: [widgets] Widgets URI scheme... it's baaaack!

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 16:26:19 +0200, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com> wrote:

> Reading that thread I don't see a consensus emerging one way or another,
> and a lot of options appear to be considered that seem to be out of
> scope (or too close to the metal) for this specification. I see some
> arguments around using file: that could be used, but none seem to
> explain how it could be without entirely precluding other file: access
> (which could potentially be needed) or minting special names (e.g. a
> special file host), which strikes me as a bad idea.

In my opinion, the "file:" protocol needs to be avoided *at all costs*.
User agents have, in over fifteen years of trying, not managed to agree on
how to implement it interoperably, varying from how to encode drive and
host names (on some operating systems) to how you deal with path traversal
and content protection issues.  Neither have they managed to agree on what
"origin" means, or whether it is acceptable to accept active content in
this context.

We could spend man-years in trying to come up with something
"interoperable" and be exactly where we were yesterday.

--
Arve Bersvendsen