Re: [widgets] Widgets URI scheme... it's baaaack!

On May 23, 2009, at 19:21 , Mark Baker wrote:
> Right.  That's the same point Arve made.  I don't see a problem with
> it.  Sure, a widget will be able to discover an implementation detail
> of its widget container - the base URI - but it's still up to the
> container to permit or deny access to other resources from that widget
> when asked to dereference it, whether the widget discovered the URI
> via a mechanism such as the one you describe, or even if it simply
> guessed it.

Calling it an implementation detail doesn't make it one. Say I have a
script in which I need to identify resources that I'm currently using
from within the widget. Since I don't want to have to care how the
designers linked them in, I'll use their absolute URIs to compare
them. If implementation A returns "http://magic-widget-host.local/dahut.svg
", and implementation B "file:///special-widget-mount/dahut.svg", and
C gives me "made-up:/dahut.svg we don't exactly have interoperability.

This gets more interesting once you bring the localisation mechanism
from P+C into play, whereby the Zip relative path and the relative URI
are different when you have multilingual content.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/