Re: DnD vs CnP (was Copy/Paste Events)

From: Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 00:20:18 +0200
Cc: timeless@gmail.com, Jacob Rossi <t-jacobr@microsoft.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org Group WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
While re-reading the spec:
	http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#drag-and-drop-processing-model
I seem to understand that "supply data immediately" is the alternative
proposed currently by HTML5. Right?

If yes, then it's clear that most server-implementors will not be able
to offer rich flavours as possible conversion targets since you don't
want to wait on a network load for a drag-start to fire!

Honestly, I find the whole DnD and CnP treatment in HTML5 quite much
ad-hoc. It's welcome to have such an addition but it makes too many
arrangements and still is hard to read.

What I would wish, and I think many many many others is a readable
specification for copy-and-paste that meets large implementations and
maybe later something for drag-and-drop.

paul