[widgets] P&C BUG ALERT: Conformance checker behavior intermixed with UA behavior

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:05:06 +0200
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
During implementation, Opera found a potential bug in the spec that
intermixes conformance checker behavior with UA behavior.

In Rule for Verifying a File Entry, we think the following assertion
should be dropped as a UA requirement:

"2. The version needed to extract is greater than 20 (meaning the
archive is using a feature unsupported by this specification, such as
Zip64), return false and terminate this algorithm." [1]

The above forces the UA to only support a specific version of the Zip
implementation. This is probably a bad idea from an extensibility
perspective. We believe it is better for a conformance checker to
inform the author when they have used features not supported by the
specification, but not to put such restrictions on UAs.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/#rule-for-verifying-a-file-entry
--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au