Re: DataCache API - editor's draft available

From: Nikunj R. Mehta <nikunj.mehta@oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:43:17 -0700
Cc: public-webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
On Jul 22, 2009, at 10:56 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, Adrian Bateman wrote:
>>
>> My preference would be to see this functionality proposed as an
>> evolution of AppCache. While I can't commit that we would implement
>> it
>> any time soon, it would be included in our considerations and at the
>> very least if we implement AppCache we would try to ensure any
>> architecture we select wouldn't preclude these extensions in the
>> future.
>> With work on the HTML5 spec trying to get it locked down towards a
>> Last
>> Call, adding new features to that document is clearly less
>> desirable and
>> I understand Ian's reluctance to incorporate extensions there.
>
> My preference in general would be for us to wait until we have stable,
> well-tested implementations before adding more features to appcache,
> but I
> certainly think that on the long term, appcache should be extended to
> support more than it does now. As it stands, the model is quite
> extensible, so I think it would be relatively easy for us to move in
> that
> direction in the future.

Don't we have AppCache implementations in Firefox and Safari? Are
there parts of the spec that we don't yet have implementation
experience or enough feedback about?

I happen to think that work on DataCache should not wait for the "long
term" to arrive. May be it is just me, but I don't see harm in getting
to an FPWD on DataCache before HTML5 Last Call.

I do agree that we should not create an impression that AppCache is
solid, and so am open to suggestions about avoiding that.

Nikunj
http://o-micron.blogspot.com