RE: DataCache API - editor's draft available

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 05:56:20 +0000 (UTC)
To: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Cc: "Nikunj R. Mehta" <nikunj.mehta@oracle.com>, public-webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, Adrian Bateman wrote:

> My preference would be to see this functionality proposed as an
> evolution of AppCache. While I can't commit that we would implement it
> any time soon, it would be included in our considerations and at the
> very least if we implement AppCache we would try to ensure any
> architecture we select wouldn't preclude these extensions in the future.
> With work on the HTML5 spec trying to get it locked down towards a Last
> Call, adding new features to that document is clearly less desirable and
> I understand Ian's reluctance to incorporate extensions there.

My preference in general would be for us to wait until we have stable,
well-tested implementations before adding more features to appcache, but I
certainly think that on the long term, appcache should be extended to
support more than it does now. As it stands, the model is quite
extensible, so I think it would be relatively easy for us to move in that
direction in the future.