Re: [widgets] localStorage vs preferences

From: Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:43:57 +0100
Cc: Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Agreed.

Currently I would summarize the situation as:

A UA that conforms to the W3C A+E spec MUST make widget.preferences
available.
The UA environment MAY also provide access to window.localStorage
The UA MAY use window.localStorage to store widget.preferences (and
therefore the two collections will have the same content)

Recommendation for Widget authors: use widget.preferences
An author could use both, but would run the risk of unpredictable
behaviour. For example, storing objects with the same key using both
widget.preferences and window.localStorage would have different
results in different UAs. For Widget authors I really think sticking
to widget.preferences is the safest approach to ensure their widget is
portable.