Re: [WebIDL] grammar in ABNF

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 15:36:09 +1000
To: Marcin Hanclik <Marcin.Hanclik@access-company.com>
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
Marcin Hanclik:
> I had the following problem:
>
> [45]    ScopedName      -> "::" ScopedNameAfterColon
>  | identifier ScopedNameParts
> Where I assumed that each ScopedName has to start with "::", because according to ABNF this production has to be written as
> [45ABNF]        ScopedName      = ("::" ScopedNameAfterColon) | (identifier ScopedNameParts)

Was the confusion because the ‘"::" ScopedNameAfterColon’ and
‘identifier ScopedNameParts’ weren’t written on the same line?  I’m not
sure that r1.189 is incorrect.  It was more complicated, though, since
I was trying to make references to DOMString as a non-intrinsic type
still work.

> I am ok with the grammar now.

OK great.

> Anyway, I would put some reference to the syntax of the LL(1). Maybe
> Aho+Sethi+Ullman's book could be listed there?

Yes I might add a reference to that.  That’s where I got the ‘→’ and ‘ε’
syntax from, I think.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/