Re: Web IDL syntax

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 12:23:39 +1000
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, public-webapps@w3.org, Robert Sayre <sayrer@gmail.com>
Boris Zbarsky:
> Are we going to rewrite the existing DOM spec idl to the new syntax as
> needed (e.g getElementsByTagNameNS)?

I do think somebody needs to do that.  I don’t think it’s sufficient
(even before this syntax change) to just rely on interepreting the OMG
IDL published in DOM Core as Web IDL.  At the least, [PrototypeRoot]
needs to be specified on the Node interface, so that ECMAScript
prototype chains for, say, HTMLAElement are set up appropriately.

I know that Simon Pieters is working on Web DOM Core
http://simon.html5.org/specs/web-dom-core but I am not sure when that
will be done.  It also won’t include everything from DOM 3 Core.

I think it might be useful for someone to just publish versions of
existing DOM specs’ IDL as Web IDL.  I’m willing to help with that.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/