[XHR2] Progress events during synchronous requests

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 13:44:17 -0800
To: Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>

Hi All,

Is there a reason why the spec says to not send progress events
(upload and download) during synchronous requests, while still saying
that readystatechange events should be fired?

I guess it can be argued that progress events (especially the load
event) is less useful for synchronous loads and that not dispatching
them is a performance optimization. Is that the reason?

I don't really feel strongly either way, though I do think that from a
web developers point of view it would be more useful to dispatch the
events than not to dispatch them. And being consistent with regards to
readystatechange is always nice.

/ Jonas