Re: Seeking implementation status of XBL2

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:24:03 -0800
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, Sean Hogan <shogun70@westnet.com.au>, Arthur Barstow <Art.Barstow@nokia.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, dev-tech-xbl@lists.mozilla.org
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>

We're interested in implementing XBL2 in WebKit as well, though I
can't give a specific timetable.

On Feb 10, 2009, at 6:39 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2009, at 15:27 , Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> Robin Berjon wrote:
>>> I don't know if there is precedent in counting JS-based
>>> implementations as valid implementation to get a spec out the door
>>> (maybe the Forms WG did it?) but I see no reason not to. In fact,
>>> I could make the argument that they should count *more* as they
>>> allow technology to be deployed faster than the browser churn.
>>
>> Assuming the JS-based implementations actually implement the spec
>> as written, yes.  But since the point of the implementation
>> requirement is to make sure that the spec is in fact implementable,
>> implementations that don't _quite_ implement it shouldn't count
>> towards the "two interoperable implementations" criterion.
>
> Oh, I fully agree with that, the point is not to water down the
> interoperability requirements. I simply want to make sure that JS-
> based implementations are counted as "real" as there often is a
> misperception that they are somehow just hacks.

Sure, JS-based implementations should count as "real" if they in fact
fully implement the spec. However, native browser-hosted
implementations may well run into issues that may not affect a JS-
based implementation, and our endgame goal here is to have
interoperable browser-native implementations. So overall, I think it
would be unwise to advance the spec to PR on the strength of JS-based
implementations alone.

Regards,
Maciej