Re: Required support for SVG in widgets

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 01:20:59 +0000
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, public-webapps@w3.org

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:22 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> Is there a reason to require any formats? In very few places we do
> this. For example the HTML and CSS specs don't require support for
> JPEG, GIF or PNG. Neither HTML or SVG require support for javascript.
>
> Is there a reason for the widget spec to be different?

I guess it's not really about mandating that the widget user agent
support SVG, just that it look for SVG as a default start file.

Your point about having unnecessary dependencies on JPEG, GIF or PNG
applied to the P&C spec. We had those in the P&C spec, but I have now
removed them. Art also raised similar concerns about the dependencies
that the widget specs have on each other - which I've tried to
minimize. The Widgets P&C spec is only concerned with matching file
extension to MIME types or sniffing particular MIME types, but is not
itself concerned with rendering them. I guess the same will apply to
supporting SVG (except instead of sniffing, it requires parsing the
SVG file and checking the namespace (?)).

Kind regards,
Marcos
--
Marcos Caceres