Re: [widgets] [preference element] question on the value attribute

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:59:09 +0200
To: Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com>
Cc: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, Jean-Claude Dufourd <jean-claude.dufourd@telecom-paristech.fr>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Scott
Wilson<scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com> wrote:
> In practice, we've been serialising data into JSON and storing it in a
> preference as text content whenever we've needed a preference value to
> contain structured information.
>
> Having the content of the preference value as text content at least makes it
> easier to know how to start de/serializing it. Arbitrary structured XML/HTML
> would be a real pain to implement. Escaping XML or serialising preference
> values in some other fashion seems less painful.

I still don't see much difference between:

<preference name="foo">{'hello': 'value'}</preference>

Or

<preference name="foo"
value="
   {'hello': 'value'}
">

But using (DOM3) textContent on this would be useless as information
is lost in the following case ('fasdfasd'):

<preference name="foo">
</hello>

Kind regards,
Marcos