Re: [widgets] Public keys in widgets URI scheme?

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:11:34 +0200
Cc: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: Aaron Boodman <aa@google.com>
Hi Aaron,

On May 27, 2009, at 23:19 , Aaron Boodman wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com> wrote:
>> I haven't read all the threads about the widget URI scheme, but I
>> wanted to contribute this thought:
>>
>> Instead of using a UUID as the authority, you might consider using a
>> public key.  You could then require that the widget is signed by the
>> cooresponding private key.
>
> FWIW, this is what we do in Chrome extensions which share some design
> ideas with widgets. It works really well for us and we are super happy
> with it.

Just out of curiosity, would you mind expanding on the "design ideas"
that you share with widgets that make you so happy? We're interested
in happiness :) Also, do you think that beyond design ideas you could
at some point reuse the concrete specifications that we've developed,
and if not why, what's missing, etc.? Thanks!

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/