File API, Editor's Draft II

From: Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 03:34:32 -0700
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
I'd like review on the most recent draft of the File API (renamed from
"FileUpload API") [1].  There's been a great deal of interest in the
File API from different quarters[2], and I look forward to feedback on
how to represent file lists, file objects (and accessors), file
selection dialogs, and file errors.   A few issues and considerations:

1. File data APIs behave asynchronously, which was initial feedback.
This specification only defines two data accessor methods, but I note
that asynchronous callbacks seem like they may proliferate, especially
for error handling.  I'm not sure we can totally avoid this, except to
be as economical as possible.

2. It continues to be useful to have a mechanism to programmatically
spawn a file picker, in addition to the HTML input type="file"
mechanism.  Well known web applications are using Flash to do this, and
it would be nice if this capability was part of the open web platform.
This mechanism can be used to prompt for "on they fly" file generation
by hardware-resident capabilities such as a device's camera.  I've
specified this in my editor's draft [1] and think it could be
implemented as a property on the window object, but I'm interested to
hear opinions about whether it should be something with a constructor,
*and* whether other user agent organizations think this should be a
feature mitigated with a user interaction layer, which blocks by default
till the user grants permission.  This also behaves asynchronously, and
adds to the issue in 1.

3. I'd like discussion of FileError objects.  We may need multiple error
interfaces, or at least more nuanced error codes.  In particular, I'd
like commentary on security considerations mentioned in the spec.

A few things in my latest editor's draft [1]aren't done, but it's ready
for feedback.

-- A*
[1] http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileUpload/publish/FileAPI.xhtml
[2]