W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webapps@w3.org > April to June 2009

[widgets] Draft Minutes from 14 May 2009 Voice Conference

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 10:05:21 -0400
Message-Id: <C7A144FE-CCE1-44A2-ACCD-04F461EB59D8@nokia.com>
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
The draft minutes from the May 14 Widgets voice conference are  
available at the following and copied below:

     <http://www.w3.org/2009/05/14-wam-minutes.html>

WG Members - if you have any comments, corrections, etc., please send  
them to the public-webapps mail list before 21 May 2009 (the next  
Widgets voice conference); otherwise these minutes will be considered  
Approved.

-Regards, Art Barstow

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                        Widgets Voice Conference

14 May 2009

    [2]Agenda

       [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2009AprJun/0528.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2009/05/14-wam-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Art, Jere, Marcos, AndyS, Arve

    Regrets
           Thomas, Robin, David, Nick, Marcin, AndyB

    Chair
           Art

    Scribe
           Art

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Review and tweak agenda
          2. [6]Announcements
          3. [7]P&C spec: Status of completing L10N model
          4. [8]P&C spec: Base folder and resolution of relative paths
          5. [9]P&C spec: <access> element and Security Model
          6. [10]P&C spec: viewmodes proposal
          7. [11]A&E spec: Red Block Issues in the spec
          8. [12]A&E spec: What needs to be done to before the LCWD can
             be published?
          9. [13]AOB
      * [14]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________



    <scribe> ScribeNick: ArtB

    <scribe> Scribe: Art

    Date: 14 May 2009

Review and tweak agenda

    AB: draft agenda sent to the mail list on 13 May
    ([15]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009AprJun/0
    528.html). I'll add a P&C LC status and plan topic. Any other change
    requests?

      [15] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2009AprJun/0528.html).

Announcements

    AB: I don't have any announcements. Does anyone?

    [ None ]

P&C spec: Status of completing L10N model

    AB: Marcos, Jere and Robin had a prolonged IRC discussion on 13 May
    ([16]http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/webapps/20090513). What's the
    status Marcos?

      [16] http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/webapps/20090513).

    MC: we looked at the essence of Francois' suggestions
    ... they make sense so we began working thru the details for a
    widget engine
    ... this simplifies a lot of things in the model
    ... main changes are to lookup mechanism
    ... fundamental model is the same
    ... there is no notion of a base folder any more and thus xml base
    is not needed

    AB: what percent of the l10n model is now done?

    MC: about 80%

    <Marcos_> Rule for Finding Files within a Widget Package

    MC: with Jere's help, eliminated Step 5

    <Marcos_> Step 5 - Derive the User Agent's locale

    MC: but there is a new Step 5
    ... how the UA gets the list of locales is not specified

    AB: what is the plan to complete the remaining 20%?

    MC: I will ask Francois for comments on what we have done

    <Marcos> have I just been rambling?

    AS: where is the latest version?

    AB: [17]http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/

      [17] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/

    <Marcos> while disconnected?

    <Marcos> bah

    <Marcos> reconnecting

    <Marcos> reconnecting

    AB: Jere, is MC waiting on any inputs from you?

    JK: no; I gave him the info; I just need to review the edits, just
    like Francois

    <arve> By the way, apologies for calling in late, I've been to
    another meeting

    AB: I would prefer to complete the model now, publish the LC and
    then ask Francois and the I18N WG for comments

    MC: I agree, let's do that

    AB: any comments on my proposal?

    [ None ]

    AS: I support that

    AB: MC, when can you have the edits completed?

    MC: by May 15 can have first set of edits in
    ... but Robin and I need to work together on that

    AB: is there some review Jere could do now that would be helpful?

    MC: yes; Step 5

    AB: Marcos, when you have completed your edits, will you send a
    notification to the list?

    MC: yes

P&C spec: Base folder and resolution of relative paths

    AB: Francois continued the base folder discussion (
    [18]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009AprJun/05
    18.html). Marcos, have the concerns Francois raised been reflected
    in the latest ED?

      [18] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2009AprJun/0518.html).

    MC: I think this is now addressed but not positive

    <JereK> Look also at
    [19]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009AprJun/05
    27.html

      [19] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2009AprJun/0527.html

    MC: Jere, what do you think?

    JK: yes, I think so
    ... we used his comments when we worked on our design

P&C spec: <access> element and Security Model

    AB: last week we had a relatively long discussion on the <access>
    element and the associated Security Model
    ([20]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/07-wam-minutes.html#item04).
    ... we will continue that discussion including: status; what must be
    specified for v1 (without causing backward compatibility problems
    for v2); normative vs. non-normative Security Considerations; plan
    to complete the model.
    ... Spec:
    ([21]http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/#the-access-element).
    Thread:
    ([22]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009AprJun/0
    514.html). IRC discussion:
    ([23]http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/webapps/20090512).

      [20] http://www.w3.org/2009/05/07-wam-minutes.html#item04).
      [21] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/#the-access-element).
      [22] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2009AprJun/0514.html).
      [23] http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/webapps/20090512).

    MC: I think the access element is about 50% complete

    AB: we are missing both Thomas and Robin
    ... so we will cut this topic short
    ... Thomas will be available on Monday

    MC: a separate telecon on this would be helpful

    <scribe> ACTION: barstow organize a telco for Widgets Security Model
    on May 18 or 19 [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/14-wam-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-341 - Organize a telco for Widgets
    Security Model on May 18 or 19 [on Arthur Barstow - due 2009-05-21].

    AB: anything else on this?
    ... Arve, Marcos, what is your avail on May 18 or 19?

    Arve: I am not avail after 14:00

    AB: ok

P&C spec: viewmodes proposal

    AB: On May 8 Marcos proposed text for the viewmodes attribute
    ([25]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009AprJun/0
    515.html). The discussion digressed a bit and I don't believe anyone
    objected to the proposal. The proposal seems reasonable to me.
    Marcos, what's the status?

      [25] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2009AprJun/0515.html).

    MC: I added my proposal to the spec

    AB: any comments on this?

    [ None ]

A&E spec: Red Block Issues in the spec

    AB: the latest ED ([26]http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-api/) of
    the A&E has some Red Block issues. Want to discuss these and get
    commitments for inputs to address them.
    ... there is a big red block in Section 5 after the Widget interface

      [26] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-api/)

    MC: this is C+P from an email that pointed out some inconsistencies
    ... I need to sync the two specs

    AB: need to sync definitions?

    MC: definitions and behavior too

    AB: is this related to the instantiation thread?

    <Marcos>
    [27]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009AprJun/04
    61.html

      [27] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2009AprJun/0461.html

    MC: no, that was URI spec

    AB: do you need some help on this issue Marcos?

    MC: if Arve has some feedback, that would be good
    ... I need to review A+E and P+C for consistency

    AB: I agree we need consistency but this doesn't seem critical i.e.
    we could fix during LC
    ... next one is in Section 5.1 viewMode Attr

    MC: the definition in this spec is wrong

    Arve: what is wrong?

    MC: the value of window widget mode is defined in P+C

    Arve: this is the result of lacking a Widget UA spec

    AB: can we create a "good enuf" solution to get this spec to LC?

    MC: we can remove the dependency on P+C and make it on Window Modes
    spec
    ... the depedency in sec 5.1 is wrong and must be updated

    AB: what's the priority Marcos of P+C and A+E?

    MC: the priority is P+C

    AB: Arve, what is your prio to address these A+E issues?

    Arve: I can't get to them until May 19 at the earliest

    <scribe> ACTION: Barstow send request to the WG to supply inputs for
    the A+E Red Block Issues [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/14-wam-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-342 - Send request to the WG to supply
    inputs for the A+E Red Block Issues [on Arthur Barstow - due
    2009-05-21].

    Arve: re the Red Block issue in 5.12, this is straight forward edits
    ... re the issue in 5.14, I don't understand the issue

    MC: I raised it
    ... this needs to align with what is spec'ed in P+C

    AB: I am unconvinced this needs to be specified

    MC: the feature element needs normalization

    AB: is there any prior art in the spec world?

    JK: the URI spec has some related text. TLR has a view on this.

    AB: so how do we move forward on this?

    <scribe> ACTION: Marcos send an email to the mail list re URI
    normalization [recorded in
    [29]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/14-wam-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-343 - Send an email to the mail list re
    URI normalization [on Marcos Caceres - due 2009-05-21].

    Arve: re ACKS and Norm Refs section, we just need to complete the
    info

    AB: any volunteers to help with these Appendix?

    MC: we can fix these after we get to LC

    <scribe> ACTION: Barstow submit input for A+E's Normative References
    [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/14-wam-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-344 - Submit input for A+E's Normative
    References [on Arthur Barstow - due 2009-05-21].

    AB: I think the Norm Refs should be completed before LC is published

    Arve: I agree

    MC: OK; I'll do it

    RESOLUTION: we will update A+E's Normative Refs before we publish
    LCWD

A&E spec: What needs to be done to before the LCWD can be published?

    AB: yesterday I started a thread
    ([31]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009AprJun/0
    525.html) to gather a list of issues and actions that must be
    completed before we can publish a LCWD of the A&E spec. I don't
    believe there were any responses so we'll take some time now to
    create that list. Naturally, we don't need to discuss the Red Block
    Issues in the ED. Arve, Marcos, let's start with you.

      [31] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2009AprJun/0525.html)

    MC: I need to do a thorough review

    Arve: I also need to do a thorough review
    ... I think there are some stylistic issues to make
    ... and some editorial changes
    ... but no new features

    AB: anything else that is mandatory to do before LCWD is published?

    [ None ]

AOB

    AB: I don't have anything
    ... anyone else?

    [ None ]

    AB: Meeting Adjourned

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: barstow organize a telco for Widgets Security Model on
    May 18 or 19 [recorded in
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/14-wam-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: Barstow send request to the WG to supply inputs for
    the A+E Red Block Issues [recorded in
    [33]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/14-wam-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: Barstow submit input for A+E's Normative References
    [recorded in
    [34]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/14-wam-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: Marcos send an email to the mail list re URI
    normalization [recorded in
    [35]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/14-wam-minutes.html#action03]

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 14 May 2009 14:07:02 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 26 March 2013 18:49:31 GMT