Re: Web Storage & SQL

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, Nikunj Mehta wrote:

> Can someone state the various requirements for Web Storage? I did not
> find them enunciated anywhere.

There's only one requirement that I know of:

* Allow Web sites to store structured data on the client.

There are many use cases, e.g. Google is interested in this to enable its
applications to be taken offline. We recently released offline GMail using
this SQL backend; one could easily imagine other applications like
Calendar, Reader, Docs&Spreadsheets, etc, supporting offline mode. A while
back we released a demo of Reader using Gears' SQL database. But we would
rather use a standard API than rely on Gears.