Re: Web Storage & SQL

From: Nikunj Mehta <nikunj.mehta@oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 14:20:05 -0700
Cc: public-webapps@w3c.org
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>

On Apr 10, 2009, at 1:53 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> One clear problem identified despite these examples is that we do
> not have a precise enough spec for the query language to make truly
> independent interoperable implementations possible.

There are several different query languages that can be interoperably
implemented - Lucene provides one example, and Couch DB is another.
What makes you say that a truly interoperable implementation is not
possible? Why does the query language have to be SQL?

> It seems to me that significantly redesigning database storage is
> not necessary to address this. "X is underspecified so let's do Y or
> Z instead" is not a very strong argument in my opinion. Another
> issue raised is that a different database model (OODB for instance)
> may work better for content authors. I would say we do not have very
> compelling evidence yet that such a design would be better, or that
> it could meet the various requirements, and we do not even have a
> concrete strawman proposal that we could start evaluating.

Can someone state the various requirements for Web Storage? I did not
find them enunciated anywhere.