Re: Web Storage & SQL

From: Ivan Enderlin @ Hoa <@>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 14:30:36 +0200
CC: public-webapps@w3c.org
Hi :-),

My opinion about the web storage & SQL is splitted in two parts.

On the one hand, making a subset of SQL instructions is very difficult.
Each of us knows that and no-one would say the contrary.
On the other hand, I have made an ORM in the past, build on two layers.
The first one is a database abstract layer (DAL) that enables user to
choose the RDBMS which he would like to use (what the /type/ argument of
the openDatabase() function expects). The second one is an
object-relational mapping layer (ORM) that builds SQL query through an
object interface. The SQL instructions builder is delagated in many
classes (with encapsulation): one class per supported database
(typically, one class per RDBMS).

A relevant and obvious compromise would be to make an ORM, with an API
interface as jLinq proposes. It abstracts the database, proposes a
standard API, enables multiple RDBMS in use etc.
Thoughts ?

Best regards.

--
Ivan Enderlin