Re: Discussions with HTTP WG about Origin header [was: Do we need to rename the Origin header?]

On 8 Apr 2009, at 18:31, Robert Sayre wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 1:18 AM, Michael(tm) Smith <mike@w3.org> wrote:
>> Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>, 2009-04-06 11:19 +0200:
>>
>>>  (The http-wg discussion looked ill-informed; among other things,
>>> they didn't
>>>  understand the relationship with CORS.)
>
> Why would they? The Origin header seems to be the solution to many
> problems. It's not obvious that it should be reused for each one.

That's precisely the point -- there was a sense at a point in the past
that CORS and the anti-CSRF Origin headers should be identical (since
they're pretty similar for most cases, and having a single header
would simplify things for web application authors).

--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>