Re: [widgets] dropping Asynchronous HTTP Requests and Storage

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 11:07:18 -0400
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: ext Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>
On Apr 6, 2009, at 6:46 AM, ext Marcos Caceres wrote:

> I had a discussion with Anne on IRC about using the Storage interface
> and XHR [1]. He recommended that we recommend support for Storage only
> on user agents that support HTML5. With regards to XHR, the same
> applies: it would be a property of the underlying document technology.
>
> So, proposal are: drop "Asynchronous HTTP Requests" requirement [2]
> and
> remove its support from Widgets 1.0: A&E. For Storage, specify that
> only
> HTML-aware UAs support Storage interface.

Regarding the Storage proposal, we've debated this before. I support
the existing text and its adoption/reuse of HTML5's Storage interface.

As Jonas indicated, the Storage interface has been moved from HTML5
to a separate Web Storage spec [1] that WebApps will publish soon
(perhaps as early as next week).

-Regards, Art Barstow

[1] <http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/html5/webstorage/Overview.html>