Re: [widgets] dropping Asynchronous HTTP Requests and Storage

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 13:10:57 -0400
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: ext Marcos Caceres <marcosc@opera.com>
On Apr 6, 2009, at 6:46 AM, ext Marcos Caceres wrote:

> I had a discussion with Anne on IRC about using the Storage interface
> and XHR [1]. He recommended that we recommend support for Storage only
> on user agents that support HTML5. With regards to XHR, the same
> applies: it would be a property of the underlying document technology.
>
> So, proposal are: drop "Asynchronous HTTP Requests" requirement [2]
> and
> remove its support from Widgets 1.0: A&E.

Regarding dropping XHR, Marcos and I chatted about this [1] and since
none of the functionality in the A+E spec actually requires XRR, I
agree with the proposal to remove the related statement in Section 3.1.

Regarding the requirement ([2] below), I think it is a reasonable
requirement for a Widget User Agent so I would keep it despite none
of our existing specs in progress address it (ATM).

-Regards, Art Barstow

[1] http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/webapps/20090406