Re: [widgets] dropping Asynchronous HTTP Requests and Storage

From: Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 15:26:15 +0100
Cc: "Marcos Caceres" <marcosc@opera.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
These are common practices that are ready to be standardised to
realize a benefit for widget developers and widget users.

The argument of "user agents having to support two storage mechanisms
for widgets" is a strawman: the cost for a UA to support the Widget
Preferences (Storage) API and wire it to their existing storage
implementation is trivial.

However, the cost for widget developers to have to code multiple times
for different UAs - and the opportunity cost to users and UAs where
developers simply don't bother and end up sticking to developing for a
single UA - is far greater.

The only debate is whether to standardize the existing practice (Apple/
Nokia/Opera method signatures) or attempt to harmonise with future
practice (use Web Storage method signatures).