Re: [widgets] dropping Asynchronous HTTP Requests and Storage

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 15:45:21 +0200
To: "Scott Wilson" <scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com>, "Marcos Caceres" <marcosc@opera.com>
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 15:28:47 +0200, Scott Wilson
<scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com> wrote:
> A consistent preferences interface is crucial for widget
> interoperability; most of the widget platforms surveyed in the
> Landscape document have a Preferences API - and have been pretty
> consistent in how they've designed it. Its not exactly radical
> standardisation practice to take 5 existing implementations and
> harmonize them in a standard - in fact, not doing so is downright odd!

Why would you standardize on a storage API, but not on a markup language,
markup language API, styling language, styling language API, scripting
language, etc.? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Especially if
it leads to user agents having to support two storage mechanisms for
widgets if they happen to have one already.

Anne van Kesteren