Re: [selectors-api] Names of querySelector() and querySelectorAll() methods

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:50:18 +0100
To: Gavin Kistner <gavin@phrogz.net>
CC: public-webapps@w3.org

Gavin Kistner wrote:
> I find these names rather cumbersome and not very self-explanatory.

I agree.

> Though it may be far too late for this suggestion, I would suggest that
> they should be something such as:
>
> findNode()/findNodes() or findNode()/findAllNodes()
> selectNode()/selectNodes() or selectNode()/selectAllNodes()
> findBySelector()/findAllBySelector()

However, unfortunately, given the significant amount of prior discussion
of this issue and the formal process which led to the selection of the
current names; and the fact that we have implementations due to be
released in upcoming versions of each of the 4 major browsers, changing
the name at this stage is not possible.

Please let me know whether or not you are satisfied with this response.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/