[access-control] non same-origin to same-origin redirect

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 14:10:43 +0200
To: "WebApps WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>

Since Jonas didn't e-mail about this I thought I would. Say
http://x.example/x does a request to http://y.example/y.
http://y.example/y redirects to http://x.example/y. If this request were
to use the Access Control specification the algorithm would have a status
return flag set to "same-origin" and a url return flag set to
http://x.example/y. XMLHttpRequest Level 2 would then attempt a same
origin request to http://x.example/y.

For simplicity and to err on the side of security it has been suggested to
remove the status return flag "same-origin" and simply keep following the
normal rules. This would mean that if that request were to be successful
http://x.example/y would need to include Access-Control-Allow-Origin:
http://x.example (or a value * would also be ok if the credentials flag is
false). I'm planning on making this change in the next few days.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>