Re: [XHR] Some comments on "charset" in the Content-Type header

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:32:56 -0400
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something, but why not leave it alone if the MIME type
> isn't "text/*" (the only ones where charset is really relevant)?

An excellent example right there of why!  For example, it's relevant for
some application types: application/xml, application/xhtml+xml,
application/x-javascript (yes, I know, not officially registered, still
in use).

So yes, the other option is to have a complex setup where some types get
it set and some don't with either whitelists or blacklists, or
special-case "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" or some such.  All of
which are less flexible and less future-proof and more complex than the
other approach, I think...

-Boris