Re: [XHR] Some comments on "charset" in the Content-Type header

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Maybe I'm missing something, but why not leave it alone if the MIME
>> type isn't "text/*" (the only ones where charset is really relevant)?
>
> An excellent example right there of why!  For example, it's relevant for
> some application types: application/xml, application/xhtml+xml,
> application/x-javascript (yes, I know, not officially registered, still
> in use).

Why would you ever *want* to set charset on application/xml or
application/*+xml? (except for the reason the related RFC recommends
it)? What is it good for? Are there really cases where people need to
override the results of XML's charset sniffing?

BR, Julian