Re: [XHR] Some comments on "charset" in the Content-Type header

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:35:43 -0400
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>   http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/XMLHttpRequest/#send

Oh, right.  I keep forgetting that the spec actually on the main W3C
site has no bearing on reality...  Is there a good reason it's there at
all?  :(

>>     B) Otherwise insert a new charset parameter before all other
>>        parameters in the header string.
>
> Hmm, only B is not done currently. I suppose we could change that...

It's pretty much needed to work with the super-brokenness of PHP
deployments.  :(  The same change needs to happen for Document.

> We could of course go back to not setting the charset parameter at all
> unless the author already set it using setRequestHeader()...

I think this would be a very poor default behavior.  We should really be
sending charset information if we possibly can; I just think that having
an explicit opt-out available might be worth it.  I'll post more as I
get more details here.

-Boris