Web IDL? An IDL for the Web?

From: Han \(Collin\) Xu <collin@w3china.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 00:19:07 +0800
To: <public-webapps@w3.org>

Hi everyone,

I read the Web IDL WD with great interest.  But the document says it's only
a specification for use by specifications that define interfaces. So it's a
specification for specification from my understanding. If my memory is not
at fault, there was a Member Submission by webMethods which has a quite
similar name, Web Interface Definition Language
(www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-widl-970922), and whose purpose is to provide a general
method of representing request/response interactions over standard Web
protocols.

So the two documents with nearly the same titles just talk about different
things? I don't know whether it can also be used as an IDL for the Web as
its name "Web IDL" suggests to me, since the Web IDL document says nothing
about it.

Anybody here can tell the truth?

Regards,
Collin