Re: [selectors-api] Investigating NSResolver Alternatives

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:35:09 +0200
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 18:54:35 +0200, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> What are the use cases you guys envision? All I can think of when
>> thinking about usage of querySelector on the Web is HTML. And maybe SVG
>> and MathML too in the near future.
>
> Those, plus XUL, though this last is less on the Web of course.

Yeah, I certainly hope the Web does not come to depend on support for XUL!

>> However, none of those really requires namespace support, including
>> when you mix them.
>
> How do I select all the inline SVG images on the page?

    div > svg, p > svg

though it's not quite as thorough as your solution.

> The obvious answer I can think of is
>
>    :not(svg|*) > svg|svg
>
> (with the "svg" prefix resolving to the SVG namespace), which pretty
> definitely requires namespace support.

On the other hand, this seems extremely complex to author and not
something most authors would come up. :-) If this is the kind of scenario
we're trying to get NSResolver defined for it does not be worth it.

(I realize I put it in the draft, my apologies.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>