Re: [selectors-api] Investigating NSResolver Alternatives

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:30:18 -0400
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Yeah, I certainly hope the Web does not come to depend on support for XUL!

Amen.

>> How do I select all the inline SVG images on the page?
>
>    div > svg, p > svg
>
> though it's not quite as thorough as your solution.

Offhand, you're missing td, span, body to cover any sort of decent range
of images....  But yes, much less thorough, indeed.  And hard to get
"right".

> On the other hand, this seems extremely complex to author and not
> something most authors would come up. :-)

That's possible, but I would think that the authoring of the query would
be by one of the various toolkits, and the author would call
getSVGImages() or some such.

> If this is the kind of
> scenario we're trying to get NSResolver defined for it does not be worth
> it.

Last I checked, the main envisioned use of the querySelector* APIs was
to speed up existing queries toolkits do.  Might be worth asking them
what they think would be useful.

-Boris