Re: Selectors API and [Null] / [Undefined]

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 21:08:55 +0200
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Tue, 20 May 2008 14:36:06 +0200, Lachlan Hunt
> <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:
>> Thanks.  I've updated the IDL in Selectors API to use these extended
>> attributes now.
>>
>> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/selectors-api/#nodeselector
>
> I think the Selectors API should just stick to the default behavior of
> [Null] and [Undefined] instead of making them identical to the empty
> string.

Feedback from John Resig (JQuery devloper) in IRC suggests that
converting to "", and thus resulting in a SYNTAX_ERR is better for
authors.  Plus I already responded about this issue earlier today.  No
change has been made to the spec in regards to this issue.

IRC Logs:
http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20080709#l-630

> Also, there's no real reason to put "raises" in the IDL, but I don't
> feel strongly about that.

Removed because apparently it's optional and it makes the IDL less
cluttered.

You can review the changes in the current editors draft.

http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/selectors-api/

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/