Re: [selectors-api] What DOM feature "Selectors API" belongs to?

From: Joćo Eiras <joao.eiras@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 14:40:43 +0100
To: "Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>

> Is there really any demand from implementers of other languages to have a
> feature sting defined for hasFeature()?  Is there any evidence that people
> make use of existing feature strings in their programs, using any
> implementation?

You provide a feature, then others use it, not the other way around.
Ecmascript (javascript) programmers go directly for object detection
because it's simpler.
Still, the entire DOM spec has Java bindings, and one never knows, but
in the future we can have other programming languages with DOM
bindings, which can be used either in a browser or another kind of
program that renders html/xml. Supporting hasFeature is about being
forwards compatible.
Else you're locking the Selectors API only to bindings that support
object detection.

(...)