W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webapps@w3.org > April to June 2008

[widgets] Minutes of 26 June 2008 Voice Conference

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 09:25:31 -0400
Message-Id: <10AD3CBC-6B0A-4E42-86CC-C5F594FB78F6@nokia.com>
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>

The minutes from the June 26 Widgets voice conference are available  
at the following and copied below:

     <http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-webapps-minutes.html>

WG Members - if you have any comments, corrections, etc., please send  
them to the public-webapps mail list before July 14; otherwise the  
minutes will be considered approved.

-Regards, Art Barstow

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                        Widgets Voice Conference

26 Jun 2008

    [2]Agenda

       [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-webapps/ 
2008AprJun/0010.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Art, Marcos, Josh

    Regrets
           Arve, Mike

    Chair
           Art

    Scribe
           Art

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Review Agenda
          2. [6]Announcements
          3. [7]Meeting Logistics and Agenda
          4. [8]Comments on the Requirements LC doc
          5. [9]Josh's Short Intro
          6. [10]Open Actions
          7. [11]Digital Signature
          8. [12]AOB
      * [13]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________


    Date: 26 June 2008

    <scribe> Scribe: Art

    <scribe> ScribeNick: ArtB

Review Agenda

    <scribe> Agenda:
    [14]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-webapps/2008AprJun/00
    10.html

      [14] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-webapps/ 
2008AprJun/0010.html

    AB: any change requests?
    ... I'd like to add to the agenda a discussion about the Widgets
    agenda being public or not
    ... any objections?

    MC: no

    JS: no

Announcements

    AB: any annoucements?
    ... no meeting July 3 or July 10
    ... when do you return from the UK, Marcos

    MC: late July

    JS: I'll be out the last week of July and then in October

Meeting Logistics and Agenda

    MC: why is this meeting being done in a member confidential channel?

    AB: good question
    ... because I'm lazy
    ... it's a lot easier for me as the Scribe for us to use a
    member-only channel that makes it easy to remove any
    Member-only/confidential discussions that may arrive
    ... If no such discussions occur, then 100% of the IRC log becomes
    the Public minutes
    ... any objections to the Agenda being sent on the Public-Webapps
    mail list?
    ... that's OK with me

    JS: OK with me

    MC: OK with me

    <scribe> ACTION: barstow propose all future Widget agendas be Public
    and give the WG two weeks to discuss/object [recorded in
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-188 - Propose all future Widget agendas be
    Public and give the WG two weeks to discuss/object [on Arthur
    Barstow - due 2008-07-03].

Comments on the Requirements LC doc

    AB: thanks Marcos for getting this out!

    JS: I sent Marcos comments already
    ... I sent him some additional comments
    ... I still have some more comments to submit

    AB: Marcos, anything you want to discuss?

    MC: it's hard to discuss some of the issues without Arve being
    present
    ... e.g. he proposed the Security Model
    ... we also need to have Thomas present for any detailed discussions
    about Dig Signatures
    ... Josh raised some good issues that we need to discuss
    ... thanks for sending the comments!

    AB: an action for me, really to make sure we get the right people on
    the calls re Dig Sig and Security
    ... We should also try to get Thomas to attend the Turin meeting

    <scribe> ACTION: Barstow invite Thomas to the Turin meeting re Dig
    Sig and Security [recorded in
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-189 - Invite Thomas to the Turin meeting
    re Dig Sig and Security [on Arthur Barstow - due 2008-07-03].

    AB: can you describe the Tracker your using for LC comments, Marcos?

    MC: it's a simple system and addresses many of my requirements

    AB:
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/42538/WD-widgets-r
    eqs-20080625
    ... nice, I see Marcos is already using it
    ... I like the consistency we can get if everyone uses it
    ... the only issue I see is the data is Member-confidential

      [17] http://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/42538/WD- 
widgets-reqs-20080625

    MC: that's more of an annoyance then a concern
    ... If people want the data Public, I can do it in a text file
    ... or if it has a report generator that creates a text format that
    would be good

Josh's Short Intro

    JS: I've been with Mozilla for about eight years
    ... working on a bunch of different things
    ... I've also worked in Security and mobile content
    ... I currently work on Nokia's Internet Tablet product
    ... WRT WebApps, I'm mainly interested in the Widgets work

    AB: it's good to get some "new eyes" looking at our specs

    MC: yes, it's really helpful

    <scribe> ACTION: Barstow talk to Yahoo!'s AC rep about joining
    WebApps and participating in the Widgets work [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-190 - Talk to Yahoo!'s AC rep about
    joining WebApps and participating in the Widgets work [on Arthur
    Barstow - due 2008-07-03].

Open Actions

    AB: [19]http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/waf/products/5

      [19] http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/waf/products/5

    <scribe> ACTION: Barstow close Issue #17 - we will include Auto
    Updates in v1.0 [recorded in
    [20]http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-191 - Close Issue #17 - we will include
    Auto Updates in v1.0 [on Arthur Barstow - due 2008-07-03].

    AB: Action #24 - [21]http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/waf/issues/24
    ... we need to define some type of extension mechanism

      [21] http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/waf/issues/24

    JS: yes, this is important

    MC: I sent a proposal but it didn't get much support

    <scribe> ACTION: Barstow close #24 and re-open a new issue that
    emphasizes the issue raised in
    [22]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008AprJun/03
    12.html [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-minutes.html#action05]

      [22] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2008AprJun/0312.html

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-192 - Close #24 and re-open a new issue
    that emphasizes the issue raised in
    [24]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008AprJun/03
    12.html [on Arthur Barstow - due 2008-07-03].

      [24] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2008AprJun/0312.html

    MC: I can close Action #122

    AB: it would to close as many of these as possible to minimize the
    number that need to copied to WebApps

    MC: we can close #139 but should check with Charles first

    AB: I will close #140 after I ask WSC WG to review the LC doc
    ... what about #143?

    MC: I recommend we close #143

    AB: OK with me

    JS: me too

    <marcos> MC: closed 187

    MC: OK, I'll close it

    <marcos> MC: closed 185

    JS: 19 Dec 2007, Art said he would ask Nokia for a widget security
    model - part of Action #144

    AB: I'm sure I asked for it
    ... but I didn't get anything I could share with the public

Digital Signature

    JS: did you Art make any progress on Action #183
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/waf/actions/183 - Investigate
    Java model for multiple signatures

      [25] http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/waf/actions/183

    AB: yes, I got some info
    ... In MIDP 2.1, only one signature is allowed in a JAR file
    ... MIDP 3.0, a JAR can contain multiple signatures

    MC: we need to raise an issue on this then
    ... we need to know "how many signatures to support?"
    ... I think we were moving to supporting multiple

    JS: multiple sigs can be useful when certs come from multiple
    sources

    MC: a question is whether the signature is signed or the contents is
    signed more than once

    AB: Certificate chaining is supported and deployed widely, I think
    any signature specification including the widgets signing spec
    should support it.

    MC: we are doing that now

    AB: Multiple signing is more uncommon. In MIDP, multiple signatures
    are "parallel" i.e. every signer signs the content independently,
    signers do not sign each other's signatures

    MC: we don't have a solution for either of these at the moment

    AB: where is "certificate chaining" defined?

    MC: XML Signature spec defines it
    ... it would be good to outline the major use cases in the Dig Sig
    spec
    ... I can create those use cases

    JS: I can contribute; this document is important
    ... and I will submit comments on it
    ... what is the plan for Dig Sig spec?

    MC: the core validation stuff needs to fleshed out
    ... Getting the core done is most important
    ... I will try to coordinate working with Josh

AOB

    MC: I plan to focus on Auto Updates next week
    ... want to get that published soon-ish
    ... certainly before the f2f in Turin
    ... I'm concerned about the Security spec and the API spec

    AB: I'll be on vacation the next two weeks. Return to the Inbox on
    July 14.

    <marcos> MC: Will be on Vacation on 5-10th

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Barstow close #24 and re-open a new issue that
    emphasizes the issue raised in
    [26]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008AprJun/03
    12.html [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-minutes.html#action05]
    [NEW] ACTION: Barstow close Issue #17 - we will include Auto Updates
    in v1.0 [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: Barstow invite Thomas to the Turin meeting re Dig Sig
    and Security [recorded in
    [29]http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: barstow propose all future Widget agendas be Public
    and give the WG two weeks to discuss/object [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: Barstow talk to Yahoo!'s AC rep about joining WebApps
    and participating in the Widgets work [recorded in
    [31]http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-minutes.html#action03]

      [26] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 
2008AprJun/0312.html

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 26 June 2008 13:27:35 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 26 March 2013 18:49:26 GMT