Re: <New: Tracking Issues in XHR that we raised>

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 12:35:44 +0200
To: "Zhenbin Xu" <Zhenbin.Xu@microsoft.com>, "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: "Sunava Dutta" <sunavad@windows.microsoft.com>, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>, "IE8 Core AJAX SWAT Team" <ieajax@microsoft.com>

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:47:03 +0200, Zhenbin Xu <Zhenbin.Xu@microsoft.com>
wrote:
>> So if we can change .responseText to also throw an exception then I'd
>> be fine with having .responseXML also throw.
>
> [Zhenbin Xu] Sounds good.  Thanks!

FWIW, I exlained why these members do not throw currently in this e-mail:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008AprJun/0188.html

Which contained a pointer to this thread:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2008Feb/thread.html#msg94

Where it is explained that throwing for responseText and responseXML is
not implemented in a consistent way in Internet Explorer and breaks some
library.

All the subsequent e-mails (in reply to my explanation) were about parse
errors and did not address the issues with throwing for responseText and
responseXML as far as I can tell (instead of returning the empty string
and null).

(Also, would it be possible to use slightly less verbose and more to the
point subject lines? It would help a lot with skimming through e-mail, of
which I get quite bit :/)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>