Re: <Further LC Followup from IE> RE: Potential bugs identified in XHR LC Test Suite

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 15:10:37 -0700
To: Zhenbin Xu <Zhenbin.Xu@microsoft.com>
CC: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Sunava Dutta <sunavad@windows.microsoft.com>, Web API public <public-webapi@w3.org>, IE8 Core AJAX SWAT Team <ieajax@microsoft.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>

Zhenbin Xu wrote:
> I think we are now off track.
>
> Nonetheless we should realize that customer cannot
> write an interoperable page with my fictional home grown browser if it doesn't exist
> or doesn't have the needed feature when the page was written.  I doubt customers
> would write against particular browser if equal efforts can results in interoperable
> solutions run on top multiple browsers.  Now that the solutions are in place, they
> deserve our consideration.
>
> I would argue it is important to think about customer's migration path when we design
> new feature or standardizing existing ones.  Otherwise we would be painting customers
> into corner and blaming them for their dilemma.

So I think the sticking point here is if there really are site
interoperability issues or not. In the cases where all UAs behave the
same way I certainly agree that that is a good indication that sites
depend on that behavior, and so we should specify that behavior.

However when existing UAs with significant marketshare do different
things, then that is a good indication that sites don't really depend on
any particular behavior. Especially if the UA vendors haven't received
any input about this being a problem, despite having a large user base.

In these cases I think we should choose the API that is most friendly
towards JS developers. Of course it is debatable what is the best API
from that point of view, but I would like to at least frame the
discussion from that viewpoint in those cases.

/ Jonas