W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webapps@w3.org > April to June 2008

[minutes] DOM3 Events Telcon, 18 June 2008

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:25:50 -0400
Message-ID: <48596F4E.1050803@w3.org>
To: "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>

Hi, WebApps Fans-

Here are the minutes for the DOM 3 Events telcon of 18 June 2008:

   http://www.w3.org/2008/06/18-webapps-minutes.html

Or as text below, for those who don't need elitist, schmancy HTML-formating:

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

              Web Applications Working Group Teleconference

18 Jun 2008

    [2]Agenda

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/18_Jun_2008

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2008/06/18-webapps-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Shepazu, smaug, [Microsoft]

    Regrets
           Andrew, Emmons

    Chair
           Doug Schepers

    Scribe
           Olli Pettay

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Wheel Event
      * [6]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________



    <trackbot> Date: 18 June 2008

    <shepazu>
    [7]http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events
    .html#events-Events-eventgroupings-wheelevents

       [7] 
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html#events-Events-eventgroupings-wheelevents

    <shepazu> ACTION: smaug to produce test template for D3E [recorded
    in [8]http://www.w3.org/2008/06/18-webapps-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-5 - Produce test template for D3E [on Olli
    Pettay - due 2008-06-25].

    <shepazu> scribe: Olli Pettay

    <shepazu> scribeNick: smaug

Wheel Event

    <shepazu>
    [9]http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events
    .html#events-Events-eventgroupings-wheelevents

       [9] 
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html#events-Events-eventgroupings-wheelevents

    Doug: added definitions of roll and rotation

    Doug> added definitions of roll and rotation

    Travis: so MouseWheel is the legacy event

    Doug: there are several different mousewheel events; mouseWheel &
    DOMMouseScroll
    ... so new event is created: Wheel
    ... but still define the legacy MouseWheel

    Travis: could add some diagram

    <scribe> ACTION: Doug to add a diagram about wheel axes etc
    [recorded in
    [10]http://www.w3.org/2008/06/18-webapps-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-6 - Add a diagram about wheel axes etc [on
    Doug Schepers - due 2008-06-25].

    smaug: problem is that systems produce events with line scroll delta
    and pixel delta

    [11]http://www.flickr.com/photos/robceemoz/2587912633/

      [11] http://www.flickr.com/photos/robceemoz/2587912633/

    <Travis>
    [12]http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-cssom-view-20080222/#scroll-attribu
    tes

      [12] 
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-cssom-view-20080222/#scroll-attributes

    <Travis> (It's not quite complete, obviously...)

    <shepazu>
    [13]http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Event
    s.html#events-event-scroll

      [13] 
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html#events-event-scroll

    smaug: scroll event happens after scrolling

    Doug: HTML and CSS should define that if element is capable to
    scroll, scroll should bubble to document

    smaug: the default handling shouldn't bubble to document

    <arve> [not participating, but following by accident] make sure that
    the delta is well-defined both in terms of value and direction,
    browser deviate on both, some send +1 where others send -60

    Travis: wondering about the 2nd paragraph of 1.3

    checkboxes and radiobuttons are special cases

    <shepazu> arve, will do

    <arve> shepazu: my highly personal proposal is to define an angle
    and a distance

    <scribe> ACTION: Doug to clarify default actions (section 1.3)
    [recorded in
    [14]http://www.w3.org/2008/06/18-webapps-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-7 - Clarify default actions (section 1.3)
    [on Doug Schepers - due 2008-06-25].

    [15]http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#the-click

      [15] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#the-click

    Doug: many things should be defined by the host language
    ... Both HTML and SVG should define click event handling on a link -
    event bubbles, default action is to fire DOMAction ...
    ... back to mousewheel
    ... arve had idea about angle
    ... Who should default the default handling of wheel event?

    smaug: the default handling depends on ctrl, alt keys etc

    Doug: I'll put a note that host language should define the default
    action for the wheel event

    <shepazu> angle could be derived from the distance of deltaX and
    deltaY

    Doug: how often would you actually need angle?

    smaug: wheelevent should expose the type of the scroll units

    Travis: wheelevent should use some common units

    Doug: need to discuss about wheel event on the list

    Travis: should the default action of wheel fire scroll or cause
    scroll ?

    smaug: cause scroll

    which may cause scroll event

    Doug: one can change the default handling of mouse wheel on system;
    how many lines are scrolled
    ... should we actually have wheel event with its own units, like
    pixels

    <Travis>
    [16]http://forums.devshed.com/html-programming-1/drop-down-lists-15.
    html

      [16] 
http://forums.devshed.com/html-programming-1/drop-down-lists-15.html

    Doug: host language defines how to react to rolls
    ... roll is abstract unit

    [17]http://mozilla.pettay.fi/moztests/pixelscrolling.mov

      [17] http://mozilla.pettay.fi/moztests/pixelscrolling.mov

    I lost connection?

    are you there ?

    shepazu: ?

    <shepazu> hey?

    can you hear me?

    <shepazu> call back in, maybe?

    <shepazu> no

    ok

    "The conference is restricted at this time"

    can't call in

    <shepazu> sigh

    <shepazu> maybe we should continue on email

    sure

    <shepazu> and wiki

    but check that video, if you haven't

    it shows the basic problem

    well, one of them

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Doug to add a diagram about wheel axes etc [recorded
    in [18]http://www.w3.org/2008/06/18-webapps-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: Doug to clarify default actions (section 1.3)
    [recorded in
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2008/06/18-webapps-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: smaug to produce test template for D3E [recorded in
    [20]http://www.w3.org/2008/06/18-webapps-minutes.html#action01]

    [End of minutes]



Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, WebApps, SVG, and CDF
Received on Wednesday, 18 June 2008 20:26:25 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 26 March 2013 18:49:26 GMT