Re: IRC logging

Hi, Anne-

Anne van Kesteren wrote (on 6/18/08 5:27 AM):

> Krijn Hoetmer volunteered for logging our IRC channel (#webapps on
> irc.w3.org:80) similarly to how he logs for the HTML WG, CSS WG, and
> WHATWG. (Also the public ARIA discussion channel I believe.) If you have
> any objections to this please say so before the weekend.
>
> If people find it more appropriate to decide this using a survey that
> would be fine with me as well, but since I don't expect opposition that
> seems like quite a bit of overhead.

I think this is a good idea.  A lot of useful work can go on in IRC, and
it will be good to capture that.  It's nice of Krijn to offer this
service... there are some cool tools he's put together for highlighting
and linking to comments.

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I would want people to know that the
channel is logged (a message in the topic should suffice).  People
should be be able to opt out in some way, such as prefixing comments
with "[off]".  How is this accomplished with Krijn's logger?  Is there
some instruction page we can point people to?

Also, I've noticed that Krijn's logger sometimes goes down... if people
are relying on their comments being logged, this can be an unwelcome
surprise.  Is there a safeguard against that?

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, WebApps, SVG, and CDF