Re: [Fwd: Offline data synchronization API]

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:58:33 -0700
Cc: art.barstow@nokia.com, chaals@opera.com, public-webapps@w3.org
To: Nikunj Mehta <nikunj.mehta@oracle.com>

On Jun 11, 2008, at 1:47 PM, Nikunj Mehta wrote:

> Hi Art, Charles,
>
> We have developed a technology, called AtomDB, at Oracle for
> transparent, local access to Web application resources when not
> connected to a network. This is one of the most frequently requested
> features on our mobile applications, which until now has required a
> non-Web application solution. Oracle is interested in developing Web
> applications for mobile and non-mobile environments that are
> resilient to network unreliability.
>
> In the process of developing AtomDB, Oracle has analyzed various
> challenges in off line data access. We realize that the Webapps WG
> is interested in this area and Oracle is willing to contribute
> resources to advance specifications that improve application
> robustness to network conditions. We have a specification that we
> could share with the WebApps WG, if there is interest.
>
> I look forward to what the working group has to say on this.

HTML5 includes mechanisms for offline applications and offline data.
The application cache is implemented in the Firefox 3 Release
Candidate and the Safari 4 Developer Preview:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#offline

Database storage is in Safari 3.1 and newer:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#sql

Google Gears also has features similar to both of these and I believe
those features are planned to converge with the standard.

Regards,
Maciej